Due to the need to concentrate Village Public Works staff time and resources on our roads, water system
Illinois law prohibits the disposal of TVs and other electronic equipment in landfills. They must be recycled. BLH Computers at 1832 Stevenson Drive accepts these items for recycling. Most items can be dropped off for free although there is a fee for TVs. Check out their website blhcomputers.com for a list of what can be recycled. Please do not put these items at the curb.
An important part of mosquito control around homes is making sure that mosquitoes don’t have a place to lay their eggs. Because mosquitoes need water for two stages of their life cycle, it is important to monitor standing water sources.
- Be sure to clean out your gutters every year to prevent debris from causing standing water.
- Any containers that may create a breeding ground for mosquitoes should be eliminated. For example – old tires, buckets, plastic containers, and toys.
- Empty and change the water in bird baths, fountains, wading pools, rain barrels, and potted plant trays at least once a week to eliminate potential mosquito habitat.
- Drain temporary pools of water or fill them in with dirt.
- Keep swimming pool water treated and circulating.
- Leaky outdoor water faucets can also cause puddles in which mosquitoes can breed.
- Uncovered refuse containers and junk piles can cause water to accumulate.
- Clean up leaf litter, but don’t rake it into gutters, or storm drains, or the street. Doing so may cause water to stop flowing and create ponds where mosquitoes may lay eggs.
The Village of Jerome does not pick up yard waste. Leaves, grass clippings, twigs, weeds, and other yard waste are picked up by your waste hauler. Yard waste bags must have a sticker on them before being put out by the road for pickup. Not all waste haulers pick up yard waste year-round, so please check with your waste hauler regarding the time of year when they provide this service. Yard waste stickers can be purchased at most local hardware stores.