Read all the news about our Village with the latest bulletin.
Jon in our community celebration of Independence Day with the annual parade starting at 9:00 a.m. and refreshments in the Civic Center afterwards!
Children are encouraged to participate in the parade either walking, riding bikes, or in strollers with decorations. An entry form is not required for children unless they are on a motorized vehicle.
Individual adults and organizations are urged to participate and can obtain an entry form by calling the Village office at 546-2203 or downloading the form. Entry forms should be submitted to the Village by close of business on Friday, June 29th.
On the day of the parade, entrants will need to register at the corner of Reed Avenue and Leonard Street by the Jerome Municipal Building. Parade line up begins at 8:15 a.m.
Friday, June 8th Saturday, June 9th
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
The Village-wide garage sale will be held on two days this year. Residents who wish to participate should plan to hold a garage sale at their home. The Village will place an ad in the State Journal-Register announcing the sale. On Saturday, June 9th from 1:00 – 3:00 a Salvation Army truck will be in front of the Civic Center on Leonard Street if you would like to drop off leftover items or other donations. See the Salvation Army website for donation guidelines.
Illinois law prohibits the disposal of TVs and other electronic equipment in landfills. They must be recycled. BLH Computers at 1832 Stevenson Drive accepts these items for recycling. Most items can be dropped off for free although there is a fee for TVs. Check out their website blhcomputers.com for a list of what can be recycled. Please do not put these items at the curb.
An important part of mosquito control around homes is making sure that mosquitoes don’t have a place to lay their eggs. Because mosquitoes need water for two stages of their life cycle, it is important to monitor standing water sources.
- Be sure to clean out your gutters every year to prevent debris from causing standing water.
- Any containers that may create a breeding ground for mosquitoes should be eliminated. For example – old tires, buckets, plastic containers, and toys.
- Empty and change the water in bird baths, fountains, wading pools, rain barrels, and potted plant trays at least once a week to eliminate potential mosquito habitat.
- Drain temporary pools of water or fill them in with dirt.
- Keep swimming pool water treated and circulating.
- Leaky outdoor water faucets can also cause puddles in which mosquitoes can breed.
- Uncovered refuse containers and junk piles can cause water to accumulate.
- Clean up leaf litter, but don’t rake it into gutters, or storm drains, or the street. Doing so may cause water to stop flowing and create ponds where mosquitoes may lay eggs.
The Village of Jerome does not pick up yard waste. Leaves, grass clippings, twigs, weeds, and other yard waste are picked up by your waste hauler. Yard waste bags must have a sticker on them before being put out by the road for pickup. Not all waste haulers pick up yard waste year-round, so please check with your waste hauler regarding the time of year when they provide this service. Yard waste stickers can be purchased at most local hardware stores.
Public works will be picking up branches on the following schedule this year. Please read the notes below for guidelines on what will and will not be accepted.
Monday, April 2nd
Monday, May 7th
Monday, June 4th
Monday, July 9th
Monday, August 6th
Monday, September 3rd
Monday, October 1st
Monday, November 5th
- Branches should be placed in front of your residence near the road the weekend before the pickup is scheduled. Please do not put them out any earlier.
- Branches should be no longer than 8 feet.
- No logs, tree trunks, whole or partial trees, bushes, twigs, or yard waste bags will be picked up.
- Residents with branch piles of ½ truck load or more should contact the Public Works Department to inquire about the charge for a large load.
- It will take several days for the Public Works staff to work their way through the Village to pick up the branches.
VILLAGE OF JEROME, ILLINOIS BOARD OF TRUSTEES
2901 Leonard Street
2018 REGULAR MEETING DATES
Meetings start at 6:30 pm.